Operations for the Carrier is more work than you could imagine. The paperwork, you know, but you must get past the “new eye syndrome” as I call it- and perform. Perform the function at hand for the men in the field that you are responsible, as of your first day!! Mentor them, and mold them into better men and women than when you found them!! Here are some of our personal, tips that helped us—–Hopefully, they help you.
- Smaller the fleet, the more personal everyone takes everything. The larger fleets start placing numbers and not that personal attachment needed at the smaller fleets…As my Granddad would say, “The bigger the foundation, the taller the building.” In order to build, You must have a solid foundation to build, and smaller fleets build into large organizations—-Build the foundation, nurture it, that way you can build as large as you wish.
- Remember they are not here, they do not fully comprehend, and until they are here, do what you can for everyone, but don’t let them control your profits–!!
- Dispatching is an Art- No right or wrong; just preferences on approach—-No one has ever stopped me from deadheading anyone of my fleet under my control; whether it is deadheading from California to the Florida shore, or Hunts Point to Bristol Bay!! Some might not like it—but they will do it if you ask and explain with enough reason! Others will just do it cause you asked—–
- Dispatch for the Driver, To maximize his earnings— if possible, helping mentor him through your consistent call in’s, check on’s, listening to the way he describes the trip- Needs of the shippers and receiver’s and the blue honda that bout got ran over this morning, doing the 4-wheel thing………Keep them moving and showing profitable actions—and the Fleet will be profitable—-help us decrease the recruiting needs, by giving that solid foundation for growth of all, and desire to improve— better than you found them.
- Dispatch are the Leaders for the fleet—Act like one!!……..Clear understanding that if they need you during your off time, it is for a reason!! Do not be the one who fell asleep, left the driver on the roadside til morning during a breakdown, find a solution before you leave him there: Down time is everyone’s responsibility!
- 15 is the ideal fleet of each dispatcher. No more than 30 per dispatch……..Whether you have 1 customer or 20 individuals, make sure the one’s earning are representing the owner as they should. Make sure all paperwork is complete, and night dispatch can get you in case of something major.
- Operations will be on call regularly, and must acknowledge the fact work is 24/7 in this industry. Our drivers work, therefore you must as well. Lead the ones you are pushing forward toward success.
- The business has shunned the drivers–and demanded we stay drivers. In order to change this takes each person must pursue a future different from the current, and be allowed to think beyond the truck that we are kept locked in for our career. They must know they are not a number, they are not kept there for the bottom line money they produce, but because they choose to stay—-They must understand the foundation that we lay in front of us, is not the path that we came, but the one that we pursue for the future of our industry. They must know that we do not accept the minimal performance that give minimal results, but we are guiding based on a successful future —In order to obtain this all must grow and prosper for the whole–learning and building in all aspects—-
“Pursuit of perfection, even if we do not make it, the world will be better because we tried.” ¹
- Honor- Not because it is easy, but because we refuse to accept anything less–because we refuse to revert to our past of being lied to and lied about–instead we choose the new path of Honor for our customers, for our leaders, for our future students, and for ourselves. This must also be understood; that this principle is a two way street, You must have both, not one or the other, but both in order to have the leadership, trust, growth, guidance, and strength amongst diversity. Teams do not allow division, as Robert Greene’s, 48 Laws of Power, states “Divide and Conquer.” That has happened once, and shall not happen again.—That is the new path without compromising to our past.
- Action- Talk is always cheap, as the words spoken. Action, whether small or large, is all progression forward. Even the greatest journey in life, begins with a single tiny step. No matter if the action is reading a single page in a book, taking a course to better oneself over a year, or learning a new skill that is related or not to the industry; always take action. That my friends, is the only way to succeed.—ACTION!
“Leave the world better than we found it.” ²