Basic numbers and how the money flows, within a trucking operation. This is based on average numbers, from the knowledge I have within the industry. We use mileage and most common freight bill amounts on average. We are also breaking down the standard mileage starting point, amongst the carrier group. Looking at a load Mileage, […]
The Trucking Agent, or Agency; also called Carrier Agent, is the contracting party to manage an operation as an agent for the Trucking company, or Carrier. These people typically operate independent of the Main Carrier, and are owned by the Agent, and given permission to contract with their trucks and customer base. These Agents or […]
A bill of lading is a legal document between a shipper and a carrier that details the type, quantity and destination of the goods being carried. The bill of lading also serves as a shipment receipt when the carrier delivers the goods at the predetermined destination. This document must accompany the shipped goods, no matter the form of transportation, and an […]
FUNDAMENTAL TERMS OF THE TRUCKING INDUSTRY CARRIER- aka Trucking Company- The authorized, licensed operation approved by the federal government, as well as the state governments, to operate “FOR HIRE” to transport for customers, brokers, freight forwarders, and other types of businesses within interstate or intrastate commerce within the United States. These operations hire, lease, and […]
The simplest answer is a two part answer: Most carriers fail, due to lack of funding. Lack of funding, is a multiple part discussion of 3 parts being: A) Float, B) Factoring C) Function A) Float- Float is capital that you need to operate between invoices. This capital base is your operational funds, ei., payroll, […]
According to Investapedia: A factor is a financial intermediary that purchases receivables from a company. A factor is essentially a funding source that agrees to pay the company the value of the invoice less a discount for commission and fees. The factor advances most of the invoiced amount to the company immediately and the balance upon receipt of funds from the invoiced party. […]
Washington State, Home of Seattle, Free Willy, and Apple Orchards–Also has full legalization for the ganja……They have help pave the way for further legalization or even full decriminalization– Becoming a state that have medicinal and recreational uses. This opens a wide variety for the potential Carrier-Courier-Delivery Service. This one simple step of full legalization adds […]
Disclaimer–Federal law states marijuana, or in the state of Michigan, marihuana—-is still quite illegal….DO NOT CROSS STATE LINES WITH IT. If you are going to be a dumbass, do it on your own time, and your own free will….. The thing about Michigan–State law has authorized Medicinal purposes for needing patients that are approved by […]
Since we have promised a full line of State Marijuana Transport Articles, discussing authorized states issuing licensing. We decided that these Need to be based on the Rules and Regulations individually–by State. As of now, we have seen a few different styles of state regulations, however, with this new found legalized, legalizing, and decriminalization — […]
These three rules are just as good today as they were when they were taught to me: If you don’t set your rate–Someone else will. No Matter What, there will always be someone else Cheaper. I would rather be the last man standing, than the first man out. Subscribe to our mailing list 1. Set […]
PER READER REQUEST- TO DISCUSS THE MARIJUANA TRANSPORT BUSINESS, AND HOW I WOULD SET UP A BUSINESS, IF I DECIDED THE MARKET WAS WERE I WANTED TO SET UP. THIS MAY END UP MULTIPLE PARTS. Due to federal law stating that Marijuana is still a controlled substance, and Federally Illegal–as well as a large […]
Operations for the Carrier is more work than you could imagine. The paperwork, you know, but you must get past the “new eye syndrome” as I call it- and perform. Perform the function at hand for the men in the field that you are responsible, as of your first day!! Mentor them, and mold them into better men and women than when you found them!! Here are some of our personal, tips that helped us—–Hopefully, they help you.
- Smaller the fleet, the more personal everyone takes everything. The larger fleets start placing numbers and not that personal attachment needed at the smaller fleets…As my Granddad would say, “The bigger the foundation, the taller the building.” In order to build, You must have a solid foundation to build, and smaller fleets build into large organizations—-Build the foundation, nurture it, that way you can build as large as you wish.
- Remember they are not here, they do not fully comprehend, and until they are here, do what you can for everyone, but don’t let them control your profits–!!
- Dispatching is an Art- No right or wrong; just preferences on approach—-No one has ever stopped me from deadheading anyone of my fleet under my control; whether it is deadheading from California to the Florida shore, or Hunts Point to Bristol Bay!! Some might not like it—but they will do it if you ask and explain with enough reason! Others will just do it cause you asked—–
- Dispatch for the Driver, To maximize his earnings— if possible, helping mentor him through your consistent call in’s, check on’s, listening to the way he describes the trip- Needs of the shippers and receiver’s and the blue honda that bout got ran over this morning, doing the 4-wheel thing………Keep them moving and showing profitable actions—and the Fleet will be profitable—-help us decrease the recruiting needs, by giving that solid foundation for growth of all, and desire to improve— better than you found them.
- Dispatch are the Leaders for the fleet—Act like one!!……..Clear understanding that if they need you during your off time, it is for a reason!! Do not be the one who fell asleep, left the driver on the roadside til morning during a breakdown, find a solution before you leave him there: Down time is everyone’s responsibility!
- 15 is the ideal fleet of each dispatcher. No more than 30 per dispatch……..Whether you have 1 customer or 20 individuals, make sure the one’s earning are representing the owner as they should. Make sure all paperwork is complete, and night dispatch can get you in case of something major.
- Operations will be on call regularly, and must acknowledge the fact work is 24/7 in this industry. Our drivers work, therefore you must as well. Lead the ones you are pushing forward toward success.
- The business has shunned the drivers–and demanded we stay drivers. In order to change this takes each person must pursue a future different from the current, and be allowed to think beyond the truck that we are kept locked in for our career. They must know they are not a number, they are not kept there for the bottom line money they produce, but because they choose to stay—-They must understand the foundation that we lay in front of us, is not the path that we came, but the one that we pursue for the future of our industry. They must know that we do not accept the minimal performance that give minimal results, but we are guiding based on a successful future —In order to obtain this all must grow and prosper for the whole–learning and building in all aspects—-
“Pursuit of perfection, even if we do not make it, the world will be better because we tried.” ¹
- Honor- Not because it is easy, but because we refuse to accept anything less–because we refuse to revert to our past of being lied to and lied about–instead we choose the new path of Honor for our customers, for our leaders, for our future students, and for ourselves. This must also be understood; that this principle is a two way street, You must have both, not one or the other, but both in order to have the leadership, trust, growth, guidance, and strength amongst diversity. Teams do not allow division, as Robert Greene’s, 48 Laws of Power, states “Divide and Conquer.” That has happened once, and shall not happen again.—That is the new path without compromising to our past.
- Action- Talk is always cheap, as the words spoken. Action, whether small or large, is all progression forward. Even the greatest journey in life, begins with a single tiny step. No matter if the action is reading a single page in a book, taking a course to better oneself over a year, or learning a new skill that is related or not to the industry; always take action. That my friends, is the only way to succeed.—ACTION!
“Leave the world better than we found it.” ²
Guys come and say all the time, “No Name, why do you say this——or why teach this_____ first?” Usually, trying to get someone to see from the other side of the business to where they are needed, and how that corresponds—-typically fall the same lines in the past as it will in the future………….You must […]
**NOTE–what you are about to read is the forethought, however, I am in no means giving anyone legal nor retirement advise; I am merely trying to educate people that are potential profiteers for their future…….whether it earns or learns or does what ever—-always follow the rules when working on the road……if it is required to […]
This is a topic that is depending on where you are located—It is on a mainstream public responsive —-line of discussion and debate!!——– Reader Requested a full discussion of various locations with legalized marijuana—This will begin this series of topics concerning the legalization and the transportation business within this industry. Now Understand–States might have legalized […]
Self-Insured What is it? According to Investopedia- Self Insure- Self-insure is a risk management technique in which a company or individual sets aside a pool of money to be used to remedy an unexpected loss. Theoretically, one can self-insure against any type of loss. In practice, however, most people choose to purchase insurance against potentially large, […]
Planning Logistical aspects of any business or supply need is a never ending process. It requires forethought, understanding of bulk purchasing, and average of the costs over time. Not to mention the many other aspects of end supply to the Planning Organizers Company. Planning is key. Trucking companies are the main supply source for […]
Now, being in the trucking industry, you hear people speaking about factoring and the service companies that perform the financial task of factoring for the carriers; probably see 3-4 advertisements everyday in some shape or form looking for new customers for these providers on every magazine related to the trucking industry. However, the reality of […]
Every single business and job have their list of tools used within their industries. Trucking is not excluded. Our tools as you will see are very specific to the task at hand, and depending on the operation that a trucker is employed may have some additional tools that I may not list. This is a […]
Improving your fuel economy in a diesel operation, means saving money by improving the average fuel rate of burn from the 5 mpg, to anything better to spend less per mile. These are my sure fire guaranteed ways to improve fuel economy: Idle less- Idling burns fuel, to maintain the driver area stay a comfortable […]